Setting Up Email On Your Smartphone
Your Microsoft Live@RIC account is used for all student email. In addition, your account includes a calendar, online file storage through SkyDrive, and many other features. With Outlook Web App (a version of Microsoft Outlook that runs in your web browser) or by setting up your Smartphone's email application, you can stay in sync with your email from your phone
- The first step to enabling mobile access to your Live@RIC account is to reset your password from the default password Rhode Island College assigned to you. The default password includes your birth month, birth date, and digits from your student ID # (ex: jan012000). For more information on default student account settings, please click here. We require this password change for security reasons and for the safety of your account information. To reset your password, access Password Station at this link: https://passwordstation.ric.edu
NOTE: Your password should be a "strong" password containing between 7-16 characters and a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. Be creative!
Password Station will reset your password for Live@RIC, Blackboard, and logging onto computers on campus. Type your user ID as shown in the above image, and then click I Agree.
- On the following screen, click on the image for Change Password:
- In the next screen, type your current password into the box next to Old Password, and then type your new password into both boxes labeled New Password and Confirm Password.
- Please note, you MUST sign in to your Live@RIC email from a computer web browser first, before you can connect your email to your smartphone. You can sign into Outlook Web App by visiting http://live.ric.edu and typing your user name and password when the following prompt appears:
(This prompt is from Internet Explorer 9)
- It is preferable to set up your Live@RIC account as a Microsoft Exchange account in order to take advantage of all available features, including real-time pushing of new messages to your device as well as calendar and contact synchronization. Below are the correct general settings for Live@RIC email setup using Exchange:
- When setting up an Exchange account, your user name is your whole email address (email@example.com). Depending on your device, it should automatically identify the correct server settings. If not, following the above link will provide you with detailed instructions.
|Live@RIC Exchange Settings||Correct Settings|
|Enable SSL encryption?||YES|
Your Live@RIC account should be completely set up, and you should have access to it on your specific mobile device. If you continue to have trouble, please call the Student Help Desk at (401) 456-8886.
Unlike with student accounts, faculty and staff email is hosted at Rhode Island College on an internal Microsoft Exchange server and the settings for student setup will not work. The correct setup procedure for your faculty and staff account will be different depending on what type of mobile device you have. Please select your device from the list below.
Some phones do not use Microsoft Exchange or ActiveSync and cannot be configured to sync contact and calendar data. For these phones, mail configuration settings for POP and IMAP are provided below. IMAP is generally safer than POP, which may result in the accidental removal of mail from the server. Due to the large number of devices available, our instructions are specific to the operating system of your device, not necessarily the model.
NOTE: The POP and IMAP configuration settings also work if you have a Multimedia phone.
Listed below are links and setup information for the college-specific Exchange settings of the five most used mobile operating systems and POP/IMAP settings:
- Android Configuration
- Blackberry Configuration
- Apple iPhone and iPod Touch Configuration
- Palm WebOS Configuration
- Windows Mobile Configuration
- POP and IMAP Configuration Settings
These instructions are specific for the Verizon Wireless Motorola DROID and DROID X. They may work for other Android-based smartphones. If you need assistance, please contact your mobile provider.
Setting Up Your Motorola Droid or Droid X
The email setup on a Blackberry is done via the Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) that is mobile provider dependent.
Setting Up Your Blackberry
The following instructions are for configuring college email access on your Blackberry using Exchange Outlook Web Access (WebMail).
Web Access URL
Mailbox name: jdoe
The following instructions are for configuring college email access on your iPhone or iPod Touch.
Setting Up Your iPhone/iPod Touch
The following instructions are for configuring college email access on your Palm WebOS (most popular are the Palm Pre and Palm Pre Plus)
Setting Up Your Palm WebOS Device
The following instructions are for configuring college email access on your Windows Mobile device.
Setting Up Your Windows Mobile Device
The following settings are required to configure your phone for email using POP or IMAP. To be able to reply to and/or send emails the SMTP configuration is used.
NOTE: We recommend that you do NOT use POP unless you have prior experience with POP configurations. Incorrect configurations may result in loss of emails. Ensure that the POP configuration always leaves a copy of the email on the server.
Configuration Settings For POP and IMAP
Authentication is required for both the incoming and outgoing email server.