News & Events for Student Veterans
RIC is a Military Friendly School in 2015
Rhode Island College has been designated a top school for American military service members, veterans and spouses as a Victory Media Inc. Military Friendly® School for 2015.
“Rhode Island College is proud to receive the designation,” said Interim Vice President for Student Affairs Scott Kane. “This distinction is a tribute to the good work of the many resources and staff on campus that work with our veteran students.”
Victory Media complied the 2015 Military Friendly® Schools list based on a carefully constructed survey taken by over 10,000 schools approved by Veterans Administration. Of those participating schools, RIC was selected to be one of 1,878 featured on this year’s list.
“The Veterans Resource Center and VetSuccess on Campus program work in tandem with college offices to provide a network of services and supports for veterans, service members and their families,” said Monica Darcy, coordinator of veterans programs at RIC. “Collectively, these efforts continue to be recognized publicly as military friendly.”
The 2015 Military Friendly® Schools list can be found at www.militaryfriendly.com/school-list as well as in the Guide to Military Friendly® Schools distributed annually in print and digital format to military personnel.
- Why RIC is Ranked One of Best Schools in Nation for Vets - Nov. 6, 2013
- Rhode Island College is proud to be recognized as an educational institution following the President’s Principles of Excellence for Educational Institutions Serving Service Members, Veterans, Spouses, and Other Family Members. See more information.
Rhode Island College Awarded 2014 Military Friendly Schools ® Designation – Victory Media, the premier media entity for military personnel transitioning into civilian life, has named Rhode Island College to the coveted Military Friendly Schools® list. The 2014 Military Friendly Schools® list honors the top 20 percent of colleges, universities and trade schools in the country that are doing the most to embrace America’s military service members, veterans, and spouses as students and ensure their success on campus.
“Inclusion on the 2014 list of Military Friendly Schools® shows Rhode Island College’s commitment to providing a supportive environment for military students,” said Sean Collins, Vice President at Victory Media and a nine-year Navy veteran. “The need for education is growing and our mission is to provide the military community with transparent, world-class resources to assist in their search for schools.” Complete survey methodology is available at militaryfriendlyschools.com/Article/methodology-press-kit.
The colleges, universities and trade schools on this year’s list exhibit leading practices in the recruitment and retention of students with military experience. These schools have world-class programs and policies for student support on campus, academic accreditation, credit policies, flexibility and other services to those who served. To learn more about the services RIC offers to student veterans and their families, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 401-456-8449.
- From Combat Boots to Books: The Challenge of Soldiers Returning to School – The graduation rate for Rhode Island College veterans is five times higher than the national average. What is RIC doing right and what can the nation's colleges do better? Read more...
- New Program Eases Veterans' Transition to College Life - Oct. 5, 2010
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Public and Intergovernmental Affairs press release
- Rhode Island College is one of the newest colleges to participate in Vetsuccess, This is part of a national pilot program: only three colleges and universities currently participate. The Veteran Resource Center will be joined by Micaela Black, a vocational counselor from the VA, as early as next week. We are confident that this will greatly enhance Veteran Services here at RIC.
Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education announces in-state tuition program for veterans - May, 18 2009