Health & Immunization Requirements
Every year students must provide health services with evidence of a negative PPD test or compliance with treatment. Before beginning some clinical nursing courses, students may be expected to meet additional health requirements. All Nursing Students must have the following information on file in College Health Services:
- An Admission Physical Exam.
- One dose of Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis (Tdap)
- Two doses of live Measles vaccine (preferably MMR) or a blood titer confirming immunity.
- Two doses of Mumps vaccine (preferably MMR) or a blood titer confirming immunity.
- One dose of Rubella vaccine or a blood titer confirming immunity.
- Three doses of Hepatitis B vaccine. A Hepatitis B Surface Antibody titer to confirm sero-conversion is recommended 1 - 2 months after the final dose.
- Provider documented proof, including date or age, of Chicken Pox disease or a Varicella titer confirming immunity or two doses of Varicella vaccine.
- An initial 2-Step PPD** tuberculin skin test and yearly PPD updates (or Chest X-Ray if PPD positive and yearly TB Assessment, which is completed at Student Health Services).
- Flu vaccine each fall semester.
* Health Care workers born on or before December 31, 1956 are only required to have documentation of one dose each of measles, mumps, and rubella or titers confirming immunity
** 2-Step PPD – two separate PPDs planted at least a week apart but not more than a year apart prior to entering into Nursing clinical.
Students will not be admitted to the first class meeting of a nursing practicum course without having complied with the health requirements. Proof of immunization may be obtained from your physician, high school, previous college or university, military record, and/or from blood titers.
Nursing majors should follow the guidelines on the college immunization form or call College Health Services at 456-8055 for further information. Once all required information is complete, students may pick up their laminated identification cards at College Health Services.