Checklist for Getting Started

Adobe PDFVeterans Checklist – Quick Print

Student Veterans are encouraged to make an appointment or stop by the VRC or VSOC offices to review the steps outlined below and ensure a smooth transition to higher education.

Step 1: Activate Benefits & Apply for Admission

Step 2: Enrollment & Certification of Benefits

  • Once officially enrolled at RIC, all PBA students should contact the PBA advisor in the Office of Academic Support and Information Services (OASIS) at 401-456-8083 to complete writing and math placement testing. All PBA and Transfer students will then be notified of a mandatory orientation to schedule classes.
  • Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to RIC's VA Certifying Official. This letter from VA, Buffalo, NY verifies your eligibility for the GI Bill. Request a copy from the VA by calling 888-442-4551 or "Submit a Question" on the GI Bill website at Outside Link

Step 3: Financial Aid

Step 4: Maintain Verification

  • Verify your attendance every month with Chapters 30, 1606, 1607. Contact the VA by phone (877) 823-2378 or online at Outside Link
  • Contact RIC's VA Certifying Official immediately if there are any changes in your enrollment status, including adding courses, dropping courses, withdrawing or receiving incomplete grades to not incur personal charges
    • Chapters 30, 1606, or 1607 pay tuition up front (Ch33 and Ch31 do not)
    • Guard and Reserve Members - STAP or STEP waivers must be submitted to the Bursar's Office.
This page contains content in PDF format. You must have the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this content, click here to download it for free.

Page last updated: September 14, 2015