NOTICE : Nov. 28 - Holiday office and power outage closures. Click for details.
Guidelines for Protecting Your Mobile Device
- Ensure that your mobile device’s operating system and software is updated to the latest version which includes the latest mobile security features.
- Use a strong passcode (sometimes called the password lock feature) to protect the data on your mobile device.
- Disable geotagging on your smartphone (see http://icanstalku.com/how.php#disable) so that tracking your location is more difficult.
- Review the privacy policies for apps that you download (i.e., what data does the app access?).
- Turn on encryption so that you can automatically wipe your device if it is lost or stolen.
- Do not use sites that require passwords, account numbers, or credit card numbers when you using a public WiFi hotspot (e.g., your local coffee shop).
- When banking and shopping using your mobile device, make sure that the sites you visit have a web address with https://. While this does not ensure complete safety, sites that have a web address with http:// are NOT at all secure.
For more information about guidelines for protecting your mobile device, please check out the following websites.
- Advanced: Most mobile devices support Virtual Private Networks (VPN). Refer to Wikipedia for more details on VPN.
Back to top