NOTICE : Roberts Hall Power Outage - Sunday, October 26, 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Academic Year Part-Time Tutoring Positions
Academic Year – Tutoring Positions
Reports to:Academic Coordinator/Counselor
Starting Wage:Commensurate with experience (will be discussed during personal interview)
- Tutor student(s) in the assigned subject area to increase their content/concept mastery.
- Inspire and encourage tutees to be intrinsically motivated.
- Address students' immediate educational concerns at each session.
- Teach students helpful learning strategies through their homework assignments.
- Keep supplemental materials (i.e. sample exercises, textbooks, etc.) on hand in case students don't bring homework or assignments to tutoring.
- Keep a written record of students' progress, feedback and school performance.
- Attend all required training and meetings.
- Arrive early and create a productive tutoring atmosphere at every session.
- Communicate with the Academic Coordinator/Counselor via email/phone/mail, as required.
- Complete timesheet in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Inform the Academic Coordinator/Counselor immediately of any needs, problems or successes in tutoring sessions.
- Maintain confidentiality of all students' academic and personal information.
- Promote the Upward Bound mission, philosophy and values in all interactions with students.
- All prospective tutors are responsible for furnishing a BCI report (National Criminal Background Check) to the Academic Coordinator prior to final appointment.
- Strong knowledge of content area being tutored.
- Open to constructive feedback.
- Able to establish rapport and working relationship with assigned students.
- Flexible in approaches used to accommodate students with different learning styles.
- Willing to follow departmental procedures, particularly in relation to documenting student progress.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Upper-class college student with a minimum GPA of 3.0 in a program of study that corresponds with at least one of the subjects for which the Upward Bound Program offers tutoring.
- Relevant teaching or tutoring experience.
- Email and Internet skills.
- Bachelor's Degree in related field and/or Teaching Certificate