Scholarship Opportunities to Study Abroad
As a first step in your search for funding, visit: http://www.studyabroadfunding.org/. They have a great database and search engine for scholarships that are tied to specific countries, subjects or fields of study, and several other categories.
- Funding for Undergraduates According to Specific Criteria
- Scholarships Available to Participants in Specific Programs
Funding for Undergraduates According to Specific Criteria
Africa South of the Sahara Grants and Fellowships
- A compilation of study abroad funding resources, especially for Africans or U.S. nationals studying in Africa.
Ashley Soulé Conroy Foundation
- Scholarship of $2,500 to qualified students for travel and study abroad, based on merit, personal qualities, and/or financial needs.
Association for Asian Studies Grants and Fellowships
- An extensive list of funding for study in Asia.
Atlas Shrugged Essay Contest
- Annual Essay Contest on Ayn Rand.
- Essay must be 800 – 1600 words.
Boren Undergraduate Scholarships
- Boren Scholarships provide up to $20,000 to U.S. undergraduate students to study abroad in areas of the world that are critical to U.S. interests and underrepresented in study abroad, including Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin American, and the Middle East.
- Boren Scholars represent a variety of academic backgrounds, but all are interested in studying less commonly taught languages, including but not limited to Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Swahili.
Bridging Scholarships for Study in Japan
- The Bridging Scholarship program is sponsored and funded by the US-Japan Bridging Foundation through contributions from a number of corporations, private foundations, and individual donors.
British Council Fund
- Scholarships for undergraduate and graduate study in the UK.
- Funding for undergraduates planning to study in Asia.
- Funding for students studying in France.
Fund for Education Abroad (FEA)
- The FEA awards scholarships of up to $5,000 to support undergraduate students planning to participate in high-quality, rigorous education abroad programs of 4 weeks or longer.
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- Funding for all levels of study in Germany.
Gilman Award – The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program
- Competition for awards for study abroad, for US citizen students who are receiving federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university. Selected by competition, recipients are awarded up to $5,000 to defray the costs associated with studying abroad.
- Please contact the study abroad director before you apply. You need to show her your application materials in advance because she will have to certify the content of your application. You should discuss your “follow-on service project” proposal with her before you submit the application.
Golden Key Study Abroad Scholarships
- Those eligible are undergraduate Gold Key members who are currently enrolled in a study abroad program or will be enrolled the academic year immediately following the granting of the award.
Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO)
- Scholarship opportunities for students studying in Japan.
Italian American and Italian Language Scholarships
- For U.S. citizens of Italian descent in their junior or senior year of undergraduate or graduate study at a four-year, accredited academic institution.
- Scholarship for studying Polish in Poland for a year or semester.
Michael P. Metcalf Memorial Award
- The fund provides grants to college students to subsidize experiences intended to broaden their perspective and enhance personal growth, including travel abroad.
Morgan Stanley Dean Witter Japan Scholarship
- Morgan Stanley will award two $7,500 scholarships to US students who will be studying in Japan for the academic year.
New England-China Scholarship Program
- Funding for tuition and fees for up to one year abroad in China, studying at one of 49 eligible institutions. Open to undergraduate and graduate students from New England colleges and universities (public or independent).
Scholarships Available To Participants in Specific Programs
AIFS Study Abroad Scholarships
- Each year, more than $600,000 in scholarships will be given to summer and semester students who submit application materials demonstrating high academic achievement. http://www.aifsabroad.com/scholarships.asp#
- The API scholarship offers awards that range from $250 to $1,000 per session. Fall, Spring, Academic Year and Summer students are eligible to apply.
CAPA Scholarships and Grants
- CAPA International Education has more than doubled the amount of scholarship money awarded annually to program participants. Each year, thousands of dollars in scholarships will be given to students who submit application materials demonstrating high academic achievement and financial need.
- Scholarships are available for students participating in the CAPA-Led Programs to Beijing, Buenos Aires, Florence, Istanbul, London, Shanghai, or Sydney.
CEA Semester, Year, and Summer Abroad Scholarships
- Multiple CEA scholarships are awarded to CEA students based on GPA and a short written essay. Scholarship categories include Business, Language, Liberal Arts & Sciences, Arts, and more.
Center for Cross-Cultural Study Merit Scholarship
- Study in Argentina or Spain.
CIEE - Council on International Educational Exchange
- CIEE program participants demonstrating need and academic merit.
CIS Abroad Scholarships
- CIS offers several types of scholarships as well as financial aid counseling. Its newest "Early Bird Scholarship" provides$300 for semester programs and $150 for summer programs to applicants who complete the application process early.
- Six $1,000 scholarships per semester on any program offered by a DiversityAbroad.com member organization. African-American, Asian-American, Hispanic/Latino and Native-American students are strongly encouraged to apply.
Institute for Study Abroad (IFSA), Butler University
- IFSA- Butler Scholarships
- Any student who applies for an IFSA-Butler program may apply for a scholarship. General scholarship awards are $500 for summer programs, $1,500 for semester programs and $2,500 for full year programs.
The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) Scholarship Program
- For study in Australia, New Zealand, and Asia.
- TEAN awards scholarships, most ranging from $500 - $1,000, to qualified program participants in categories including need-based, merit-based and travel grants.