NOTICE : Campus-wide Power Outage - Thursday August 28, 2014 from 6:00 am to 4:00 pm. Click for details.
Checklist for Getting Started
Student Veterans are encouraged to make an appointment or stop by the VRC or VSOC offices to review the steps outlined below and ensure a smooth transition to higher education.
Step 1: Activate Benefits & Apply for Admission
- Complete the application: Education Benefits [VA Form 22-1990] at www.ebenefits.va.gov/ to activate benefits. Print a completed copy for your records.
NOTE: If you have used VA education benefits at another institution, complete [VA Form 22-1995] to indicate the change in schools.
- Apply for admission to RIC using the Common Application at www.commonapp.org/ Many veterans will apply either through:
- Send all official transcripts from the following sources to: RIC Admissions, 600 Mount Pleasant Avenue, Providence, RI 02908
- Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS) at http://aarts.army.mil/
- Community College of the Air Force Transcript Request Forms (CCAR) at http://www.au.af.mil/au/ccaf/transcripts.asp
- Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART) at https://smart.navy.mil/
- US Coast Guard Transcripts at http://www.uscg.mil/
- DSST scores (if applicable)
- Contact Admissions to have any previous military training evaluated for college credit: Student Veterans will be awarded a maximum of 4 traditional credits for standard military training time. Additional credits can be awarded for upper level baccalaureate courses OR credits from CCAR (Air Force).
Step 2: Enrollment & Certification of Benefits
- Once officially enrolled at RIC, all PBA students should contact the PBA advisor in the Office of Academic Support and Information Services (OASIS) at 401-456-8083 to complete writing and math placement testing. All PBA and Transfer students will then be notified of a mandatory orientation to schedule classes.
- Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to RIC's VA Certifying Official. This letter from VA, Buffalo, NY verifies your eligibility for the GI Bill. Request a copy from the VA by calling 888-442-4551 or "Submit a Question" on the GI Bill website at http://www.gibill.va.gov/
Step 3: Financial Aid
- (Optional) Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ RIC's FAFSA number: 003407
Step 4: Maintain Verification
- Verify your attendance every month with Chapters 30, 1606, 1607. Contact the VA by phone (877) 823-2378 or online at https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/
- Contact RIC's VA Certifying Official immediately if there are any changes in your enrollment status, including adding courses, dropping courses, withdrawing or receiving incomplete grades to not incur personal charges
- Chapters 30, 1606, or 1607 pay tuition up front (Ch33 and Ch31 do not)
- Guard and Reserve Members - STAP or STEP waivers must be submitted to the Bursar's Office.