Bachelor of Science in Special Education
Students in the Department of Special Education must meet the admission and retention requirements of their major (elementary education, secondary education) as well as the admission and retention requirements of the special education program.
Students are eligible for an initial educator certificate in special education in Rhode Island if they have successfully completed all teaching concentration requirements in their major (elementary education, secondary education) as well as all requirements for their special education concentration.
Application and Admission Requirements
Candidates apply upon completion of 24 credits to the Department of Elementary Education concurrently as they apply to the Department of Special Education through a joint application process.
B.S. Elementary and Special Education Program
Mild/Moderate Grades 1-6, and/or Severe Intellectual Disabilities ages 3-21
See FSEHD admission requirements (see General Information under School of Education).
A teaching concentration in special education may be chosen in addition to your major
B.S. Secondary Education with a concentration in Special Education:
Mild/Moderate Grades 7-12, and/or Severe Intellectual Disabilities ages 3-21
Please contact department Secretary Mrs. Jeanne Morris at email@example.com for a copy of the Admissions Portfolio and guidelines which include:
- A completed special education application form.
- A copy of current transcripts. Minimum GPA of 2.75
- SPED 300 course artifact and graded rubric or equivalent course..B- or better.
- One reference letter from a professional documenting the extent and quality of the candidate’s experience with individuals with disabilities.
- A personal statement describing the candidate’s interest in a career teaching individuals with disabilities.
- A copy of a letter of acceptance to a secondary education teacher preparation program.
Admissions portfolios are submitted after successful completion of SPED 300 with a grade of B- or better, acceptance to a secondary education teacher preparation program and before registering for SPED 311 and SPED 312.