Bachelor of Science in Special Education
Students in the Department of Special Education must meet the admission and retention requirements of their major (elementary education, secondary education) as well as the admission and retention requirements of the special education program.
Students are eligible for an initial educator certificate in special education in Rhode Island if they have successfully completed all teaching concentration requirements in their major (elementary education, secondary education) as well as all requirements for their special education concentration.
Application and Admission Requirements
B.S. Elementary and Special Education Program (i.e., Concentration in Mild/Moderate Grade 1-6, Severe Intellectual Disabilities) allow joint admission. See FSEHD admission requirements (see
B.S. Secondary Special Education Program:
- A completed special education application form.
- A copy of current transcripts. Minimum GPA of 2.50
- SPED 300 course artifact and graded rubric or equivalent course..B- or better.
- One reference letter from a professional documenting the extent and quality of the candidate’s experience with individuals with disabilities.
- A personal statement describing the candidate’s interest in a career teaching individuals with disabilities.
- A copy of a letter of acceptance to a secondary education teacher preparation program.
Admissions portfolios are submitted after successful completion of SPED 300 with a grade of B- or better, acceptance to a secondary education teacher preparation program and before registering for SPED 311 and SPED 312. Please contact department Secretary Mrs. Jeanne Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org for Admissions Portfolio guidelines.