NOTICE : Planned Power Outages - November 2 and 4. Click for details.
- The student chapter of the American Marketing Association will be holding its first open meeting of the semester Wednesday, September 24th, at 12:30 in Alger 108. We will be working on events including a national case competition, a trade show booth that we will demonstrate at the National Convention in New Orleans next spring, professional development events, as well as fundraisers and parties. You'll also get to meet other marketing professionals from the Southeast New England Professional AMA Chapter. This is your opportunity to gain the experience and connections that will accelerate your career. So come to a meeting soon! Remember: Wednesdays at 12:30 in Alger 108. You may also send our President, Erica Desmarais, an e-mail at email@example.com to obtain more information.
- The Student Accounting Association has formed and encourages all students with an interest in accounting to join. This organization will provide valuable professional knowledge, experience, and contacts, as well as be an opportunity to make friends and have fun. Those interested should contact Dr. Lisa Church in Alger 240 or at firstname.lastname@example.org or 456-9593.
- Jeanne Haser-Lafond, Assistant Professor of Accounting, appeared on Ch. 10 WJAR’s show, “Calming Your Financial Fears,” as a panel expert. The show aired Friday, September 19, from 5:00-6:30 p.m.
Details can be found at http://www.turnto10.com/northeast/jar/news.apx.-content-articles-JAR-2008-09-18-0014.html
- Jennifer Amaral, a May 2008 graduate, has been awarded a $1,000 scholarship from the RI Chapter of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners. Jennifer is an MBA student at URI and intends to pursue a concentration in forensic examination. Jen is from Bristol and will receive the scholarship at an awards luncheon on Sept. 19, 2008.
- The Department of Accounting and CIS and the School of Management will be hosting a meeting of the Rhode Island Society of Certified Public Accountants in the Alger 110 Assembly Room on Wednesday, November 5, at 6:00. There will be several speakers representing different segments of the accounting profession, with time available after the presentations for networking. This event was very popular the last time it was offered, so arrive early for a good seat.
- Dr. Crist Costa and Dr. Charlie Snow have retired. We are extremely appreciative of their service and will miss them. Dr. David Blanchette has been named the Interim Dean of the School of Management, effective August 18. Dr. Shani Carter is the new Chair of the Department of Management and Marketing. Dr. James Schweikart joins the faculty as a Professor of Accounting. Dr. Murat Aydogu and Dr. Debra Skaradzinski join the faculty as Assistant Professors of Finance. Welcome to all!