SOM's Expectations from Internship Employers
The School of Management (SOM) at RIC thanks you for your interest in providing internship opportunities to our students.
Internship opportunities have proven to be fruitful for both students and employers. Students gain new knowledge, work experience in their chosen field, and an opportunity to build their career skills and networks. Employers gain access to qualified and talented workers, an opportunity to enhance their recruiting effectiveness, and the chance to participate in educating students.
We offer internship courses for academic credit to our students to foster academic experiential learning. The Bachelor of Science programs of study in SOM are; Accounting, CIS, Management, Marketing, and Finance. All students referred for internships will have completed at least the introductory course in their major field of study.
The employers are not required to compensate students financially. However since many our students hold part time or full time jobs to support their education, any paid internships would be appreciated.
The students will have to do 120 hours of work during the 14 week semester at the place of internship and also attend a class at the college every other week.
Internships are offered three times a year every Fall, Spring and Summer.
What we expect from The Employer
As participants in the internship program, employers will provide:
- The opportunity for the intern to advance their knowledge and skills in their chosen field of study.
- Meaningful professional tasks and responsibilities that apply the student’s existing knowledge and skills in their chosen field of study.
- The information and support to perform their assigned tasks.
- Adequate supervision and coaching during the performance of their tasks and responsibilities.
- Specific performance feedback to the intern regarding his/her performance on a regular basis.
- Regular communication with faculty supervisor or coordinator of internships at RIC.