What is Supported Parenting?
Supported Parenting is a culturally sensitive approach to helping families headed by a parent/s with cognitive challenges. It involves working long-term, building on a family's strength, to promote competence to promote competence and sustain independence. The model is based on:
- Respect for parents and the strong emotional bond between parents and their children.
- Regarding parents as a resource, not a problem.
- Support directed to the family as a whole rather than to individual members.
- Enabling parents to feel in control and experience being competent.
- Supporting families in the context of their own extended families, neighborhoods and communities.
- Engaging parents as active partners in service planning and as equals in choices and decisions affecting their family.
Supported Parenting Brochures
English 170 kb
Spanish 26 kb
Supported Parenting Referral Forms*
Referral to Sherlock Center from RI DCYF 117 kb
Referral to Sherlock Center from RI DCYF 306 kb
*The referral forms provided are only for referrals from DCYF. Other organizations interested in making a referral should contact one of the Family Support Specialists listed below. Fees may apply.
How Does a Family Support Specialist Support Families?
Central to the Sherlock Center's Supported Parenting model is support from a Family Support Specialist (FSS).
Through regular meetings with the parent and family, the FSS:
- Helps the parent consider ways to take more personal control in their lives.
- Assists the parent in developing a "self-help plan."
- Helps the parent identify strategies and supports to achieve the goals identified.
- Assists in developing a network of trusted allies.
- Helps individuals, families and teams identify and access natural supports, community resources and more formalized supports when necessary.
The Family Support Specialist can provide guidance and coaching in the following areas:
- Basic parenting
- Children's medical supports
- Children's school supports
- Low literacy challenges
- Natural supports & community membership
- Housing / household management
- Financial management
- Transportation & related resources
- Employment & related resources
- Conflict resolution and family relationships
Sherlock Center Family Support Specialists
7-1-1 or 1-800-745-5555 RI Relay TTY
7-1-1 or 1-866-355-9214 RI Relay TTY Espanol
Mitzie and Iraida are available to provide technical assistance and offer professional development workshops to agencies supporting parents with cognitive challenges. Call or email for more information and applicable fees.
As Family Support Specialists, Mitzie and Iraida help individuals to gain personal control and self-direction through the utilization of Person-Centered Planning and a self-help plan. They are experienced at coaching parents with cognitive challenges related to multiple life stressors. Iraida is bilingual in English and Spanish.