|Fogarty Life Science (FLS) 218|
Academic BackgroundB.S.N. Saint Anselm College, 1981
M.P.H. Tulane University, 1986
M.N. Louisiana State University, 1987
PhD University of Rhode Island, 2007
Courses TaughtCOLL 101 The College Experience
NURS 370 Public & Community Health Nursing
NURS 511 Population/Public Health Nursing I
NURS 590 Global Health Experience: Haiti
NURS 709 Population Health
Areas of InterestPublic Health/Health Policy/Health Equity
Chronic Disease/Diabetes Management/HIV and AIDS/Lead Poisoning/Opiate Addiction/Overdose
Recent Scholarly Activity
- Costello, J., Carpentier, M., Sliney, A., MacLeod, C., Young, K., & Flanigan, T. (2016). Evaluation of a nurse-initiated routine HIV testing pilot on a medical-surgical unit, MEDSURG Nursing: The Journal of Adult Health, 25 (1), 36-43.
- Lavall, K. & Costello, J. (2015). Assessment of the public’s knowledge of venous thromboembolism. Journal of Vascular Nursing, 33, pp. 68-71.
- Costello, J.F., Sliney, A., MacLeod, C., Carpentier, M., Garofalo, R., & Flanigan, T. (2013). Implementation of routine HIV testing in an acute care hospital in Rhode Island: A nurse initiated opt-out pilot project. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 24, 460-468.
- Costello, J. (2013). Roles and strategies of diabetes support group facilitators: An exploratory study. The Diabetes Educator, 39, 178-186.
- Byrd, M., Costello, J., Gremel, K., Schwager, J., Blanchette, L., & Molloy, T. (2012). Political astuteness of baccalaureate nursing students following an active learning experience in public policy. Journal of Public Health Nursing, 1-11.
Service outside Rhode Island CollegeBoard of Directors, Haitian Humanitarian Network
Board of Trustees, Nursing Foundation of Rhode Island