Across the Athletic Director’s Desk
Director of Athletics
|• Congratulations to alum, Hall of Famer and great athletic booster Dick Margarian on his induction into the National Federation of High School’s Hall of Fame. In addition to his present job as assistant executive director of the Rhode Island Interscholastic League, Dick was an outstanding interscholastic wrestling coach, and principal at Coventry High School. Well deserved!|
• Glad to see another great supporter and Hall of Famer, Joe Menard, up and looking great after a bout with a medical issue.
• The two commencement speakers representing this year’s 50th Anniversary Class were none other than Joe Menard and fellow Hall of Famer Joe Aguiar. Great job guys!
• Construction has begun on the new student-athlete support center which will be the focal point for student-athletes to meet for academic support and will also be the center for alcohol/drug education programming, community service activities, life skills programming and much, much, more!
• Booster and former RIC President John Nazarian continues to recuperate nicely at home in Rhode Island following a bad fall on his way home from Florida. He’s not driving yet but is finding his way around with rides. Keep up the rehab!
• I had a surprise visit from Hall of Famer Linda Aitken this past week. Linda was in the first Hall of Fame class at RIC in 1989. She currently resides in Longboat Key, Fla., but is staying in Rhode Island at her family home in Wickford for the summer. Great to have you back on campus, Linda!
• Congratulations to track standout Stephanie Bucci and baseball/wrestling standout Eric Fama on their nominations to the Little East Conference’s student-athlete of the year award. Jobs well done.
• The 2010 Homecoming will mark 80 years of intercollegiate athletics at Rhode Island College. Recently the athletic awards committee decided as part of this milestone to highlight the five greatest occasions/achievements in intercollegiate athletic history. Stay tuned over the next few weeks as a major announcement regarding this event will take place. Additionally, this year’s Hall of Fame class will be announced.
• I want to extend my sincerest appreciation to Ted Stebbins and his R.I. Interscholastic Injury Fund Committee for donating an AED to the athletic program. Just this spring, RIC hosted the boys’ and girls’ lacrosse championships, the girls’ softball championship, boys’ baseball playoffs, and boys’ volleyball playoffs. This donation will insure an AED is readily available if need be for all these events, many happening at the same time.
• There is still time to be part of the Anchor Club Golf Tournament or the Endless Summer Beach Party. For more info, visit our website or contact Tony Rainone at (401) 456-8260.
• Congratulation’s to former head tennis coach Dick Ernst for having Court #1 at Roger Williams Park named in his honor. Also, to alum and Tennis Hall of Fame Chief Executive Officer Mark Stenning on receiving the Gardner Ward Chase Memorial Award from the USTA. Much deserved!