Shinn Study Aboard Scholarship recipients to be honored at benefit April 24
Shinn Study Abroad Scholarship recipients:
- Daniel Reeves of Manville, a junior biology major, who will travel to James Cook University in Cairns, Australia, to study sharks.
- Sarah Petronio of Cranston, a junior Spanish/elementary education major, who will study at the University of Granada in Spain.
- Kevin Gravier of Coventry, a sophomore Spanish/secondary education major, who will travel to the University of Cadiz in Spain.
The benefit begins with a RIC Mainstage Theatre performance of “Pippin” at 2 p.m. in the Auditorium in Roberts Hall. Following the play, a Bon Voyage Party for this year’s Shinn honorees will be held in the Forman Theater.
“This will be an exciting event, celebrating the accomplishments of Rhode Island College students before they head off on their study abroad adventures,” said Elaine Perry, chair of the Shinn Committee. “Our spring event is a way for people to enjoy a magnificent theater production, and to meet the talented students that will benefit from the Fund’s assistance.”
The Bon Voyage Party will feature:
• International hors d’oeuvres and desserts
• Dancing by the Greek Pride Dance Troupe
• An opportunity to purchase a bottle of wine with a surprise restaurant gift certificate
The Shinn Fund, maintained by the Rhode Island College Foundation, provides undergraduate scholarships in planned study outside the United States. The scholarship has supported 59 RIC study abroad scholarships in the last 21 years, totaling over $200,000. They have studied in 24 different countries on 6 continents.
Established in the 1987-88 academic year by Ridgway Shinn through the generous support of many of his friends, colleagues, and former students, this fund marked his retirement from RIC after 29 years of service. During those years, he was a professor of history, the first chair of the Department of History, the first dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and vice president for Academic Affairs.
Tickets for the benefit are $35 (includes performance of “Pippin” and Bon Voyage Party). For reservations, call Jim Bierden at (401) 831-2495.