Director of Athletics
|• Congratulations to all of the student-athletes and coaches on another outstanding year. As of this writing, Rhode Island College is ranked in the top 85 (out of 430 NCAA Division III institutions) in comprehensive intercollegiate athletic programs in the country as evidenced by its ranking in the Learfield Director’s Cup standings. The college is in the top 20 of public institutions and number one among Little East Conference institutions. Great job by everyone!|
• Congratulations to coach Maria Morin and her softball student-athletes on another tremendous season. In what many believed to be a rebuilding year, the Anchorwomen won their fifth straight regular season conference title, fourth consecutive tournament title, qualified for their fourth straight NCAA tournament and compiled a record of 42-7 – a new school record.
• It is a pleasure to congratulate Karl Augenstine on his selection as the recipient of the Bourget Award. This award is named after Paul ’69 and Denise Bourget, who have so supportive of our student-athletes. Karl, a standout basketball player during his years at RIC, has been extremely generous to the entire athletic program, but especially to the men’s golf and men’s basketball programs. He allows the golf team to utilize the Triggs Memorial Golf Course, which borders the RIC campus, and will be sponsoring a men’s basketball reunion during Homecoming 2009 weekend. Karl will be honored at the athletic awards dinner on Saturday of Homecoming.
• Freshman basketball standout Mason Choice just returned home after representing Rhode Island College at an NCAA Student-Athlete Leadership Conference at Disneyworld in Orlando Florida.
• I am extremely happy to report that OASIS Director and “student-athlete supporter extraordinaire” Dolores Passarelli is back on the job after undergoing some medical procedures. Keep getting better!
• Soccer/track standout Kayla Fleming capped an incredible career at the NCAA Championships in Marietta, Ohio, where she finished 12th in the high jump. Kayla recently received the Helen M. Murphy Award as the college’s outstanding female student-athlete. Congratulations, Kayla.
• If you want to support student-athletes and have a great time yourself consider playing in the Anchor Club Golf Tournament on Monday, July 13, at the Pawtucket Country Club, or attend the Endless Summer Beach Party on Saturday, July 18, on the beach in Narragansett. Call the Athletic Department for more details at (401) 456-8007 or visit our website at www.goanchormen.com.
• Congratulations to coach Kevin Jackson and the women’s outdoor track & field team on their outstanding season and their runner-up finish for the conference championship. Great job, ladies!
• Rhode Island College is the home to the Rhode Island Stingray soccer team. If you haven’t been to one of their games, you should get out to one and enjoy some great soccer played by local athletes.
• In addition to the Stingrays, the college hosted two weeks of interscholastic state championships in boys’ volleyball, boys’ and girls’ lacrosse, baseball and softball. A good number of the thousands of people who visited the campus during the two-week period remarked on the outstanding shape of the athletic facilities. Kudos to Andy Coughlin, the supervisor of athletic facilities, on the incredible job he does!
• The renovation of the college’s recreation center continues to move forward due to the efforts of so many, especially student and college leadership. When it’s complete it will be a facility worthy of the entire RIC community’s pride. Phase I of the rehab – the aquatic facility – is nearing completion. Thanks to President Carriuolo, Vice-Presidents Penfield and Locke, Mr. Brady and Mr. Fitta for their due diligence in completing this project.
• Congratulations to our entire contingent of student-athletes, coaches and G. Gail Davis ’60 for their community service efforts with Dorcas Place. Due to all of their hard work, I was recently notified that the college has been selected to receive the Dorcas Place Community Partner Award. Great job.
• As noted above, a reunion of all men’s basketball alumni will take place on Friday, October 2, at Triggs Memorial Golf Course. Food, fun and a little golf will all be part of the day’s activities. We ask that all men’s basketball alumni put the date on your calendar. More details will be forthcoming.