NOTICE : Roberts Hall Power Outage - Sunday, October 26, 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.
25th Anniversary Celebration of Shinn Study Abroad Fund: Musical & Reception
2014 Shinn scholarship winners. From left, Ingrid Lopez, Emma LaFleur, Zakary Pereira, Jade Lopez and Nora Garron.
Numerous commemorative events have been held throughout the 2013-14 academic year in celebration of the 25th anniversary of the Ridgway F. Shinn Jr. Study Abroad Fund. The celebrations end with a reception, free and open to the public, to honor this year’s scholarship recipients.
On Saturday, April 26, at 4 p.m. in Alger Hall 110, the following five Shinn scholars will be recognized:
• Theatre performance major Nora Garron of Plainville, Mass. Garron will travel to London to study at the University of Roehampton in spring 2015.
• History and secondary education major Emma LaFleur of Portsmouth, R.I. LaFleur will travel to Wales to study at Swansea University in fall 2014.
• Sociology and justice studies major Ingrid Lopez of Providence. Ingrid will travel to London to study at Kingston University in spring 2015.
• English major Jade Lopez, also of Providence. Jade will travel to London to study at Kingston University as well in spring 2015.
• History and political science major Zakary Pereira of North Kingstown. Pereira will travel to Budapest to study at Corvinus University in spring 2015.
The Shinn fund was established during the 1987-88 school year by the late Emeritus Professor of History Ridgway Shinn Jr. through the generous support of many of his friends, colleagues and former students. Any RIC undergraduate student in good academic standing is eligible to apply for a Shinn scholarship. In the past 25 years, the Shinn Study Abroad Fund has supported 77 RIC students in 28 different countries on six continents through grants that total more than a quarter of a million dollars.
Partial proceeds from the ticket sales of RIC’s annual spring musical by the Mainstage Theatre are allocated to the Shinn fund. This year’s musical, “Dirty Rotten Scoundrels,” will be staged Thursday through Saturday, April 24-26, at 7:30 p.m.; and Saturday and Sunday, April 26 and 27, at 2 p.m. in the auditorium in Roberts Hall. The Shinn reception will follow the April 26th matinee performance.
“Dirty Rotten Scoundrels” has been described as stylish, sexy, irreverent and “Broadway musical comedy heaven.” Directed by Bill Wilson, with musical direction by Anthony Torelli and choreography by Angelica Vessella, the musical, Wilson said, “is very funny with opportunities for excellent singing, dancing and acting, and we have supremely talented students to make it great.”
For tickets to “Dirty Rotten Scoundrels,” contact the RIC Box Office at 401-456-8144, or visit www.ric.edu/pfa.
For more information on the Ridgway F. Shinn Jr. Study Abroad Fund, visit https://www.ric.edu/studyabroad/shinn.php.