NOTICE : Roberts Hall Power Outage - Sunday, October 26, 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Angela Davis to speak at L.I.F.E. Conference, April 13
The 2012 Diversity is a Way of L.I.F.E statewide conference – featuring political activist, academic and author Angela Davis as keynote speaker – will be held on Friday, April 13, from 11 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. in Alger Hall 110.
This year's conference theme is “Movements.” It will highlight historical and present alliances of people connected through their shared interest in affecting social change.
The event is presented by the RIC student organization L.I.F.E (Live, Inspire, Fight, Education).
At the conference, participants will have the opportunity to engage in dialogue, generate awareness of the issues and foster enthusiasm for addressing them, while providing a model that can be adapted for individual campus dialogue opportunities.
1. Dimensions of Diversity: Revealing Unconscious Bias & Prejudice
2. Building Community in a Globalizing World
3. Representing Diversity
4. Education in a World of Difference
5. Redefining Freedom & Democracy
6. Combating Social Issues Through Movements: Present/Past
7. Justice & Economics
8. Dominant Ideologies, Oppression & Inequalities
9. Translations of Stereotypes in Social Institutions
10. Strategies to Affect Positive Change
For more information or to register for the conference, click here.
The L.I.F.E. organization seeks to give its members a holistic understanding of pertinent social issues and foster a multi-faceted network of organizations through partnerships within Rhode Island College and the community at large.