Certificate of Graduate Study (C.G.S.): Mathematics Content Specialist (Elementary)
The Mathematics Content Specialist: Elementary certificate includes a series of content courses designed to facilitate the professional improvement of teachers of math in elementary schools.
- Strengthen classroom teachers' understanding of the mathematical content they are required to teach.
- Increase the classroom teachers' knowledge of the mathematics within the Rhode Island Grade Level Expectations in Mathematics.
- Develop more effective mathematical teaching practices that allow all students to achieve high standards on state and national mathematics examinations.
- Investigate current research on how students learn mathematics and translate this knowledge into appropriate pedagogy.
Candidates for the program would be current elementary teachers with at least two years of teaching experience or hold a valid teaching certificate at the elementary level and have two years of teaching experience.
Completion of the following five 3 credit hour courses is required:
- Candidates must hold a valid state issued certificate for teaching at the elementary level and two years of teaching experience.
- Submit three (3) letters of recommendation attesting to the candidate’s potential to do graduate work.
Candidates must receive a grade of "B-" or better in four of the five courses with no grade lower than a "C."
Scheduling information can be obtained from the office of the chair of the Mathematics and Computer Science Department. Candidates may expect to complete the certificate program in as little as fifteen months. Fees, registration and payment will follow the ordinary and usual schedule for graduate level courses and certificates.
Gaige Hall 367