Campus Advisory: Cold Weather Warning - Click here for details.
Institutional Review Board (IRB)
If you conduct research using human participants, Federal Law and College Policy mandate that participants be adequately protected from harm of any kind. This applies to all human participants in a study including whether or not they are members of the RIC community. Rhode Island College's Institutional Review Board (IRB) is a committee of faculty and staff members who are charged with the responsibility of reviewing research involving human participants to determine whether they meet Federal Guidelines regarding:
- The rights, welfare, and privacy of participants
- Whether the risks to participants are outweighed by the potential benefits of the knowledge gained
- Whether informed consent is obtained from participants and documented by appropriate methods
The Committee typically meets on the 3rd Friday of the month, although other dates are required to accommodate holiday and vacation breaks. Applications must be completed and ready for review by the 1st of the month to be reviewed that same month. Please note that revisions are often needed before a proposal can be sent for review, so the application process should be started several weeks earlier to ensure that it is ready by the 1st of the month deadline. Click here to go to the application forms.
The meeting dates for 2015-2016 are: Sept 18, Oct 16, Nov 20, Dec 18, Jan 22, Feb 19, Mar 18, Apr 15, May 20 and June (TBA).
- Dr. Cindy Padula, Chair (2015-2018)
- Dr. Lisa Bain, CIS (2014-2017)
- Dr. Amy Burns, Central Falls School District (2015-2016)
- Mr. Jesse Capese, Prisoner Advocate (2015-2016)
- Dr. Susan Dell, Special Education (2013-2016)
- Dr. Kevin O'Connor, Unaffiliated member (2015-2016)
- Dr. Christine Marco, Psychology (2014-2017)
- Dr. Sue Pearlmutter, Social Work (2014-2017)
- Dr. Sylvia Ross, Nursing (2015-2018)
- Dr. Marissa Weiss, Student Services (2015-2018)