Bachelor of Science in Health Education
B.S. in Health Education
This page describes the teacher preparation track, NOT the Community Health concentration
- Consult the Feinstein School of Education website for general requirements.
- Program specific requirements are HED 102 with a minimum grade of B- and HED 202 with a minimum grade of B-.
- A minimum overall grade point average of 2.50 each semester.
- A minimum grade of B- in HED 300 and HED 418, and a recommendation to continue from the instructors of each course.
- There is a minimum grade requirement for all other required, professional and cognate courses. Please check with your advisor for more information.
- Completion of the Professional Service Retention Requirement prior to enrolling in Health Education 427.
Course RequirementsStudents must present current certification in basic first aid and adult-child-infant CPR in order to student teach.
|Course No.||Course Title||Credits|
|HED 101||Human Sexuality||3|
|HED 102||Personal Health||3|
|HED 202||Principles of Health Education||3|
|HED 233||Social Perspectives of Health||3|
|HED 303||Community Health||3|
|HED 307||Dynamics and Determinants of Disease||3|
|HED 325||Assessment in Health and Physical Education||3|
|HED 404||Organization and Administration of School Health Education Programs||3|
|HED 410||Stress Management||3|
|HED 431||Drug Education||3|
|CEP 315||Educational Psychology||3|
|FNED 346||Schooling in a Democratic Society||4|
|HED 300||Concepts of Teaching||4|
|HED 417||Instructional Planning in Health Education||3|
|HED 418||Practicum in Health Education||4|
|HED 427||Student Teaching in Health Education||10|
|HED 428||Student Teaching Seminar in Health and Physical Education||2|
|SPED 433||Adaptation of Instruction for Inclusive Education||3|
|Note: Students must present current certification in basic first aid, adult-child-infant CPR, and AED in order to student teach.|
|BIOL 108||Basic Principles of Biology (*)||4|
|BIOL 231||Human Anatomy||4|
|BIOL 335||Human Physiology (**)||4|
|PSYC 110||Introduction to Psychology (***)||4|
|* Fulfills the Natural Science category of General Education.|
|** Fulfills the Advanced Quantitative/Scientific Reasoning category of General Education|
|*** Fulfills the Social and Behavioral Sciences category of General Education|
Total Credit Hours
The Murray Center