NOTICE : Beginning Sept. 15, members of RIC Community must have valid parking permits. Click for details.
General Education Goals and Outcomes
Goal: Persuasive speakingLearning Outcomes
- Students will communicate orally in an effective manner using linguistic structures and vocabulary appropriate to an academic setting.
- Students will possess the ability to formulate and answer questions, present topics and arguments with coherence, fluidity, and without repetition nor distracting gestures and movements.
- Students will effectively incorporate visual and/or audio materials in oral presentations as appropriate.
Goal: Critical analysis and synthesisLearning Outcomes
- Identify, evaluate and analyze evidence and data in an impartial manner.
- Differentiate between logically valid and invalid arguments and inferences.
- Draw logical conclusions based on the evaluation of carefully weighed and critically analyzed evidence and data.
- Independently formulate lines of inquiry and investigation.
- Formulate logically valid analogies and define accurate similarities when examining different events or phenomena.
- Possess the ability to self reflect, understand, and compensate for the reality that personal life experiences, upbringing, and education shape how individuals interpret facts and events.
Goal: Receptive listening.
Goal: Clear and rhetorically informed writingLearning Outcomes
- Writing that produces well organized, analytically constructed student papers that incorporate clearly worded thesis statements that are coherently defended by supporting evidence and by well reasoned, persuasive and logical arguments.
- Analyze and synthesize primary and/or secondary source materials in formulating thesis statements and supporting arguments.
- Develop effective strategies for creating, revising, and editing writing assignments.
- Produce writing that demonstrates proficiency in standard American English, including grammar, diction, and sentence structure.
Goal: Critical and engaged readingLearning Outcomes
- Identify and analyze the authorial thesis and main ideas.
- Identify and critically evaluate the supporting evidence for intellectual coherence and bias.
- Identify and analyze basic assumptions and inferences made by the author or authors of the text.
- Identify the strengths and weaknesses and the overall persuasiveness in the text's chain of argumentation.
- Critically evaluate the organizational strengths and weaknesses of the text.
Goal: Applications of technologyLearning Outcomes
- Locate information relevant to an assignment in print resources
- Locate information available electronically using appropriate search tools
- Identify and critically evaluate information from electronic resources
Approved by the Rhode Island College Committee on General Education, November 2010