Connect with FSEHD on Facebook!

Student Teaching Abroad

For Teacher Candidates

  • Do you want to student teach abroad? It takes preparation and additional resources, but can be a highly rewarding experience that can help your professional and personal growth.
  • Please let us know ONE YEAR in advance about your plans. We need to work with you to approve your placements. Some programs do not allow this student teaching option, so we need you to connect with us and your Program well in advance. Make an Appointment with Assistant Dean, Eileen Sullivan (456-8593) to discuss your plans.
  • You will be paying regular RIC tuition and be responsible for all travel and housing costs abroad. Take a look at the financial aid options for study abroad.
  • If you have personal contacts on locations, let us know that. Feel free to do internet research to identify possible placements around the world, but do not contact anyone before clearing it with us. Then fill out a regular Student Teaching Application online, and indicate your preference for placements abroad. If your only language is English, you will want to make sure you go to an English speaking country/school.
    • The Department of Defense offers unique opportunities to student teach in American schools around the world. See Department of Defense Student Teaching opportunities.You can go through their placement process.
    • Almost every capital city in the worls has a school attached to an American enbassy; sometimes such a school is shared by several English-speaking countries.
    • There are many independent international schools with English as a medium of instruction, usually in large cities.
    • Finally, consider English-speaking countries
  • Before arranging travel, students should consult the U.S. State Department website on the conditions abroad that may affect their safety and security. More specifically, students should check the U.S. State Department's current travel warnings list before choosing a country in which to student teach.  

For Schools outside U.S.A.

The Feinstein School of Education and Human Development is looking for dependable partners around the world to place our teacher candidates. We are proud of our students, and would like to expand student teaching abroad opportunities for them. If you would like to have student teachers at your school, please contact Kimberly Crabill. A few things to consider:

  • Students need to have a good idea about possible cost: transportation, housing, meals. They appreciate any help to reduce the cost, for example host family situation.
  • We care greatly about safety of your locality, and advise students against going to areas of civil conflict, political instability or high crime rate.
  • Students need to be placed with experienced (at least three years of classroom experience) cooperating teachers. If your country has a system of professional licensure, those teachers need to be licensed. RIC pays $500 stipend to cooperating teachers for full semester, and $250 for half.
  • Teacher candidates will also need a supervisor; someone to come and observe at least three lessons, and fill out evaluation forms online. In most cases, a school principal (headmaster) or another senior administrator agrees to fulfill that role. RIC will pay a $400 stipend to supervisors.
  • Most of our teacher candidates need to be placed in an English language classroom, but occasionally, we have students who can teach in other languages.
  • Elementary candidates must teach all subjects in grades 1-6; secondary - their specific subject in 8-12 grades. K-12 candidates (Art, Music, PE, Special Education) should have experiences at both elementary and secondary levels.

Page last updated: Tuesday, November 18, 2014