Connect with FSEHD on Facebook!

Program Specific Requirements

Advanced Studies in Teaching and Learning - M.Ed.

  • An interview.
  • Three years teaching experience (middle or high school) in biology, chemistry, English, French, general science, history, mathematics, physics, social studies, Spanish, or other middle or high school teaching area. 
  • Official report of scores on the PRAXIS II content examination in the certification area may be required. 

Autism Education- CGS

  • A Rhode Island professional license in teaching or related service, such as occupational therapy, speech therapy, physical therapy, or school psychology.
  • Three letters of recommendation (one from the district administrator) that evaluate candidate’s education and experience in special education or a related field.
  • Standardized test scores are NOT required for the Certificate of Graduate Studies
  • An interview.

Counseling - MA - School

  • A minimum of 6 credit hours of courses in psychology or related field.

Counseling – MS Clinical Mental Health Counseling

  • A minimum of 6 credit hours of courses in psychology or related field.
  • An interview

Counseling - CAGS- Mental Health

  • A minimum of 6 credit hours of course work in psychology or related field.
  • Previous Master’s degree in counseling or related field

 Early Childhood Education - M.Ed.

  • Teacher certification in elementary education, early childhood or an appropriate field.
  • An interview may be required.

Elementary Education - M.Ed.

  • One year teaching experience.
  • An interview may be required.

Health Education - M.Ed.

  • Completion of courses in psychology, human physiology or human biology, and sociology or anthropology, and in critical areas of health science.
  • An interview.

Middle-Secondary Level Special Education - CGS

  • Proof of eligibility for the Rhode Island special educator-mild-moderate elementary and middle level teaching certificate.
  • Standardized test scores are NOT required for the Certificate of Graduate Studies

Physical Education - CGS

  • Undergraduate degree in physical education from an accredited college or university
  • Standardized test scores are NOT required for the 15 hour Certificate of Graduate Studies.

Reading Specialist - M.Ed. 

  • One year of professional teaching experience.
  • An interview.

School Psychology -CAGS

  • A minimum of 3 courses in psychology, including child or adolescent development, personality, and abnormal psychology.
  • An interview.

Special Education - M.Ed.

  • Completion of SPED 300: Introduction to the Characteristics and Education of Children and Youth with Disabilities or its equivalent as determined by an advisor.
  • M.Ed. in Special Education with Concentration in Severe/Profound Disabilities requires course work in elementary education teaching methodology in reading, language arts, and mathematics.
  • M.Ed. Early Childhood Birth to Kindergarten requires eligibility for RI certification in early childhood education.
  • M.Ed. Special Education Certification requires RI certification in elementary or secondary education or concurrent enrollment.
  • M.Ed. Exceptional Learning Needs (strands: secondary, administration, specialized study in special education, urban multicultural curriculum and instruction, or urban multicultural special education) requires RI certification in special education.
  • Application essay describing candidate’s commitment to special education, cultural awareness, collaboration, and lifelong learning.
  • Please note: for candidates seeking ESL endorsement in Rhode Island to teach in K-12 settings, completion of college-level study of a second language is required before the time of certification.  Courses may include elementary and intermediate grammar and conversation, and culture and civilization.
  • An interview.

Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL) - M.Ed.

  • Effective September 2013, all candidates completing their ESL Second Certificate will be required to take the ESOL Praxis (Test 0361) and receive a score of 146.
  • An interview.

Note: If you plan to teach ESL to adults or you plan to teach internationally, a teaching certificate is not required for entry into this program.  However, a suitable undergraduate minor (e.g. languages and linguistics; English; international studies) is required to take graduate courses in this program. 

Page last updated: Wednesday, March 27, 2013