All Faculty and Staff Email is now in Office 365. Do you need assistance?
Middle Grades Certification
For additional information contact program director:
The Certificate of Graduate Study in Middle Grades Certification, which meets RIDE Middle Grades Certification, is a 13 credit program designed to provide advanced graduate study and practicum training for students with an undergraduate degree and either elementary or secondary teaching certificate and who are seeking preparation to become middle-level teachers.
Federal financial aid is available for students admitted in this certificate program. See more details about graduate student financial aid here http://www.ric.edu/financialaid/graduate2.php
The four courses, generally offered in an off-campus cohort program, are taught in a sequence and address the eight RIDE (Rhode Island Department of Education) Middle Grades Competencies and the five AMLE (Association of Middle-Level Educators) Standards. Students fulfill a practicum in each course (either in one’s own classroom or one assigned) culminating with the submission of a Capstone Project at the end of the fourth course.
Students also must be proficient in their content area either having earned a Secondary Teaching Certificate in a content area or an Elementary Teaching Certificate with at least 21 hours of designated coursework plus passing the Middle Grades Praxis Content Test.
The following are admissions for this program:
- A completed application form accompanied by a fifty-dollar nonrefundable application fee.
- A copy of the candidate’s teaching certificate.
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate records.
- Applicants should have a minimum of 21 undergraduate hours in their subject content area and a 3.0 GPA. Consideration will also be given to students who may lack sufficient credits in their content area, but have experience working in schools.
- Three letters of recommendation attesting to the candidate’s middle-level graduate work.
|Course No.||Course Title||Credits|
|MLED 510||Teaching and Learning at the Middle Level with 15 practicum hours||3|
|MLED 520||Curriculum and Organization of Middle-Level Schools with 8 practicum hours||3|
|MLED 530||Application of Middle-Level Instructional Models with 15 practicum hours||3|
|MLED 540||Practicum in Middle-Level Instruction with 30 practicum hours||4|
Total Credit Hours