NOTICE : Parking validation stickers for RIC community available at Campus Police office. Click for details.
What are some careers in Youth Development?
- Education: After School Program Coordinator, Environmental Education Director, Policy Researcher, Private Music Teacher.
- Programming: Youth Program Director, Arts Workshop Leader, Youth Computer Lab Director, Family Services Director, Summer Activities Director.
- Youth Advocacy and Counseling: Child Advocate, Probation Officer, Drug and Alcohol Counselor.
- Spiritual Growth: Youth Ministry, Worship Leader, Service Learning Director.
- Guidance and Leadership: Residential Counselor, Social Services Case Worker, Youth Homeless Outreach.
- Sports and Recreation: Soccer Coach, Aquatics Director, Outdoor Adventure Leader.
What professional organizations support Youth Workers?
Youth work is a nationally and internationally recognized professional field. Below are some links to organizations that support Youth Work and Youth Workers.
The Rhode Island After School Alliance (RIASPA) provides a hub for youth organizations, youth workers, and after school providers. With other leaders in the state, it has also contributed to developing the core competencies for Rhode Island Core Knowledge and Core competencies for After School and Youth Development Workers.
The Child and Youth Care Certification Board awards professional certification for individuals who demonstrate advanced education, training, and skills in the field of child and youth care work. Although certification is not required to get a job as a youth worker, certification provides a way for youth workers to demonstrate their commitment to professional practice and higher standards.
The National After School Association (NAAA) is a "leading voice" in the afterschool profession dedicated to the development, education and care of children and youth during their out-of-school hours.
The Next Generation Youth Coalition (NextGen) brings together individuals and organizations dedicated to developing a strong, diverse after-school and youth development workforce that is stable, prepared, supported and committed to the well being and empowerment of children and youth.
The International Youth Foundation (IYF) mobilizes a global community of businesses, governments, and civil society organizations — each committed to developing the power and promise of young people.