NOTICE : Parking validation stickers for RIC community available at Campus Police office. Click for details.
Faculty Rights and Responsibilities
Faculty members have the following rights:
- Determine the content of each course and how it is taught.
- Decide how to best instruct students and assess student learning.
- Consult with knowledgeable professionals on methods to accommodate the learning needs of students with disabilities.
- Right to be informed of accommodation needs in each semester, to be able to support students with disabilities.
- Maintain academic standards of courses.
- Question and negotiate specific accommodations to ensure that they will not change essential requirements of course.
- Right to award grades appropriate to the level of student's mastery of course material.
- Be treated respectfully by all students.
Faculty members have the following responsibilities:
- Reasonably accommodate students who provide Request for Reasonable Accommodation letters from the Disability Services Center.
- Refer to the Disability Services Center students who request accommodations for a disability, but do not provide Request for Reasonable Accommodation letters from the Disability Services Center.
- Maintain student confidentiality by not asking for specific information regarding a student's disability.
- Understand policies and law regarding students with disabilities.
- Sign accommodation letters from Disability Services in a timely manner.
- Understand that some behaviors are not related to disability, and that there is no obligation to treat these students differently than any other.
- Enforce Rhode Island College Student Handbook policies equally for all students.
- Contact the Disability Services Center (456-8061) whenever there is a question regarding a reasonable accommodation.