ACADEMIC STANDING COMMITTEE
A. Powers and Duties
The Committee shall:
1. Recommend policies governing the readmission of undergraduates and hear appeals by individuals of decisions on matters of readmission.
2. Hear appeals of decisions involving the transfer of academic credit.
3. Hear written appeals to waive academic policy in individual cases.
4. Afford each student an opportunity to be heard orally on said student's case if so requested provided that the Committee may first require a written statement showing that there is evidence or circumstances not previously considered.
5. Require that, except for their presentation, members of the Committee who are designated parties in an appeal absent themselves from the hearing of that case, including the vote on that case.
6. Establish and maintain a codified file of decisions rendered.
7. Report its specific actions to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, appropriate deans/director, and department chairs, the Secretary of Council, the Counseling Center, and the Academic Advisement Information Center within ten working days of each meeting.
8. Ensure that appropriate academic departments are notified and have an opportunity to provide their recommendations to the Committee on relevant cases coming before the Committee.
9. Ensure that the instructor be permitted to appear before the Committee at said instructor's request.
10. Notify the student involved and arrange a time for a personal appearance if so requested.
11. Remind students who have cases pending before the Committee that they may discuss highly personal matters with the Committee Chair or Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students in advance of any meeting.
12. Meet at least once a month during the academic year.
The Committee shall consist of ten members:
1. Four faculty, appointed by the Committee on Committees to serve two-year staggered terms. No more than one member may be from any one department.
2. Two undergraduate students, appointed by Student Parliament for one-year terms.
3. One academic administrator, appointed by the President of the College.
4. The Director of Records, or designee, ex-officio, non-voting, shall serve as Secretary to the Committee.
5. The Director of Admissions, or designee, ex-officio, non-voting.
6. The Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students, or designee.
7. The Chair shall have the power to appoint a Vice Chair from among the Committee members to serve in the Chair's absence.
8. The term of membership for all Committee members shall be from July 1.
COMPILER'S NOTE: Section VI.B.6. was amended 2/14/84.