Frequently Asked Questions

How are tuition charges determined?

You will be assessed tuition and fees based upon your student category and residence. If your permanent residence, for over one-year, has been Rhode Island, you may apply for in state status at the Records Office in Building 4. In addition, to be considered independent of his/her parents, a student must not have been claimed as a dependent for tax purposes for two years, and the student must have resided in Rhode Island for at least one year. If you possess a baccalaureate degree you will pay graduate tuition. If you have been accepted into a second undergraduate degree program, you will pay undergraduate tuition. It is your responsibility to inform the College of your status so that you are correctly billed.

Back to top

What is E-Billing?

E-Billing (electronic billing) is now the official billing method at Rhode Island College. It is reliable, convenient and provides faster and easier service for students and parents - and it is more green than paper billing. Students will be sent an email notification to their RIC email account when an E-Bill is available for viewing. Students also have the ability to give access to authorized users to view their E-Bills and/or make e-Payments. Each person with access to the E-Bill can receive an email notification when a new E-Bill is generated if their email address is provided. There are several reasons why E-Bill is the official billing method at Rhode Island College. It has become commonplace to perform many daily transactions and communications via email and online. Many universities and institutions around the country are using electronic billing as their primary method of billing. In addition to providing more efficient service, electronic billing also results in time and monetary savings to both the student and the institution.

Can I receive a paper bill instead of the E-Bill?

All enrolled students will receive an E-Bill. If you want a paper copy of your bill, you can log into the MyRIC account to print a copy of your E-Bill.

How do I set up an authorized user? How can my parents view my E-Bill?

A person other than the student may have the ability to view the E-Bill as an authorized user.
The student needs to:

  • Log into MyRIC account.
  • Click on Campus Finances > Make a payment > add NEW Parent (bottom left next to Parent Pins)
  • Assign your parent a username and password as directed
  • Authorized users who provide an email address will also be sent E-Bill notifications

What are the advantages of the electronic billing?

No waiting for paper bills in the mail!

  • Quicker - Receiving bills earlier allows students more time to make payment arrangements
  • Flexible - Students can authorize parents or others to make payments or share account information
  • Reliable - Bills are posted online for quick viewing and your bill will never be lost in the mail
  • Convenient - Pay online with debit card, credit card, or check (ACH) or Higher one card

Will I be dropped from my classes if I don't make payment by the due date of the bill?

Students who pre-register for classes must make satisfactory payment arrangements with the bursar office prior to the due date of the bill. Failure to make satisfactory payment arrangements may result in the cancellation of your class schedule. If you are dropped from your classes, you will be invited to register at late registration, after you have made satisfactory payment arrangements with the bursar office.

Back to top

What types of payment does the college accept?

The Rhode Island College bursar office accepts cash and checks. The bursar office does not accept credit cards.

Payment by cash may only be made in person at the Bursar's Office, Building 4, East Campus.

Payment by credit card can only be made online. A convenience fee of 2.75 percent will be added to each credit card transaction. American Express, MasterCard, and Discover are accepted.

Payment by electronic check may only be made online.. There is no fee for electronic check processing.

Payment by check will be accepted in person at the Bursar's Office or by mail.

Click here to read all bursar office payment options.

Back to top

How do I access the online payment screen?

For Parents: You will need the student name and student ID found on the bill. Please click on this link to access the payment screen.

For Students: Log into MyRIC Self-Service and select Campus Finances.

What are the bursar office hours of operation?

The bursar office is open for business Monday through Friday 8:30 AM until 4:30 PM.

Summer hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 AM until 4:00 PM.

The Office is closed on state holidays.

Online payments are accepted 24 hours each day.

Back to top

When is the tuition bill due?

The Fall term bill is normally due during the first week of August. The Spring term bill is normally due during the first week of January. The Summer bills are normally due in the middle of May and the last week of June.

Back to top

What are all the fees for?

  • The Application Fee is used to defray the cost of processing an application.
  • The Applied Music Fee is used to cover the cost of private music lessons.
  • The Dining Center/Student Union Fees are applied toward the repayment of federal government loans that made the construction of the building possible.
  • The Fine Arts Fee is used to provide opportunities and activities in the fine and performing arts at the College.
  • The Laboratory/Studio Art Fee is used to cover the cost of laboratory and art supplies provided by the College to students enrolled in specific courses.
  • The Library Fee is used to cover the costs of purchasing books, periodicals, and non-print materials for the Library.
  • The Orientation Fee is used to cover the costs of accommodations and other expenses for the orientation program.
  • The Recreation Fee is used to cover the operation and programs of the Recreation Center.
  • The Registration Fee is used to cover costs associated with the registration process.
  • The Student Activity Fee is allocated to the Student Parliament for funding the student activity program.
  • The Technology Fee is used to cover the costs of purchasing equipment and software for student use on campus.
  • The Transportation Fee is used to fund the re-establishment of a discounted RIPTA fare program for students and parking improvements on campus.
  • The Tuition (General Fee) is used to cover the basic costs of educating a student and of running the College.
  • The Transcript Fee is a one-time charge, which entitles the student to transcripts upon appropriate request.
Back to top

May I take courses at URI or CCRI along with the courses I take at RIC?

Any undergraduate student who has paid full-time fees at Rhode Island College may take a maximum of seven credits during each of the fall and spring semesters at the University of Rhode Island (URI) or the Community College of Rhode Island (CCRI) or both without paying additional fees. The student must be enrolled for at least five credits at RIC and the total combined credits taken at all institutions must be 18 or less. The forms required for this procedure are available at the Records Office.

Back to top

What happens to my bill if I add or drop classes later?

Your tuition bill will be adjusted for all adds and/or drops which occur during the first two weeks of class. A revised bill is normally forwarded to each student at the beginning of each semester. This bill may be used to make payment due. It may also be used to waive insurance coverage, verify financial aid status, enroll in the payment plan, and verify billing changes due to course changes.

Back to top

How will I be refunded if I have overpaid my account?

The bursar office automatically reviews each student's tuition account and generates refunds each week. The refund checks are available on Monday afternoons. Beginning with the Fall 2009 semester, student refunds will be issued electronically utilizing the RIC Funds Card through our refunding processor HigherONE. Additional information about this process may be found at the following link: RIC Funds Card.

Back to top

A third party will make payment of my tuition bill. What do I do?

Provide the bursar office a copy of the authorization to bill the third party prior to the due date of the bill. The bursar office will bill the third party.

Back to top

Does the bursar office cash checks for students?

No. We do not cash checks.

Back to top

I owe money for a previous semester. May I register?

The College's tuition policy requires that all prior balances be paid in full prior to registration for future semesters. The bursar office will work with you to make satisfactory payment arrangements.

Back to top

How do I apply for a short-term book loan?

The Financial Aid Office issues short term book loans to students whose anticipated financial aid has not been received by the College prior to the start of classes. Contact the financial aid office for details.

Back to top

What is the Health insurance coverage?

All undergraduate degree students, preregistered for nine or more credits at the end of the initial semester billing period, are normally automatically enrolled in the student health insurance program. This coverage is a basic health insurance for students who are not otherwise enrolled in a health insurance program. If you have been assessed this coverage and do not wish to be enrolled in this program, complete the waiver form and return it to the insurance company by the due date. You may access the student insurance website at Outside If you have not been assessed the insurance charge and wish coverage, you may enroll at the bursar office. To be eligible, you must be enrolled in a minimum of six credits. Brochures are available in the bursar office.

Back to top

Page last updated: June 11, 2015