NOTICE : Nov. 28 - Holiday office and power outage closures. Click for details.
Addiction Recovery Priorities 11-08
A. Parity Laws/ Reimbursement Rates
- Define and clarify the relationship among government insurers, medical & tax community in the provision of service & reimbursement
- Use data from brief intervention screening codes to provides us with data
- Include recovery support services in the mainstream of healthcare
- How do people pay for this tax? (not sure what this means)
- Grandfather LCDP to license or stop insurers from not reimbursing non-triad providers
- Increase reimbursement for providers
- Examine workforce compensation
- Begin with education
- Tease out implications of multiple health problems
B. Policy and Advocacy
- Tie the recovery agenda to the healthcare agenda as well as presenting it as a human service problem
- a) Present to decision makers the reality of addiction as a healthcare priority > co-occurring and medical co-morbidity, multiple occurring disorders
- b) Educate regarding impacts across health issues: What are they, how do we share them?
- c) Keep continuum of care perspective on all issues
- d) Foster a language change to facilitate policy change e.g. "disease management"
- Remove legal disabilities from ex-offenders, multiple misdemeanors, expungement laws/ disability laws
- Re: Housing, employment – make process easier/ more accessible
- Identify recovering legislators who are willing to be an advocacy group for recovery
C. Education, Workforce Development and Academic Coordination
- Educate re: "impaired" professionals, services, resources, advocacy, work based?
- Improve quality of training for paraprofessionals in RI
- Develop a clearinghouse for cross-disciplinary training > matching needs & resources
- Evaluate where people going with Chemical Dependency degrees
- a) Stigma & discrimination in the field?
- b) Empowerment
- Expand number of individuals providing services
- Strengthen academic / community relationships
- a) Expand field placements / liaisons
- i. Administration/ Business practice
- ii. Research
- iii. Evaluation
- b) Maintain fiscally neutral internship relationships