All Faculty and Staff Email is now in Office 365. Do you need assistance?
Health Sciences Programs
The B.S. in Health Sciences is a multidisciplinary degree program involving the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, the Feinstein School of Education and Human Development, the School of Management and the School of Nursing. This program prepares students for careers in Human Services, and provide career advancement through the completion of bachelor's degrees for certified dental hygienists and respiratory therapists. All concentrations will include a common core of cognate courses in biology, chemistry, health education, math, philosophy, psychology and sociology.
Completions and Concentrations
- Dental Hygiene Completion
- Food Safety Concentration
- Human Services Concentration
- Medical Laboratory Sciences Concentration
- Respiratory Therapy Completion
Possible careers for students graduating with a B.S. in Health Sciences/Human Services Concentration include research into aging disorders; analysis of trends in retirement, income, health care or housing; planning or administering health care delivery systems; advocating for the aged or underserved; and working as health insurance consultant, pharmaceutical, and medical or dental product sales. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics there will be 3.2 million new healthcare jobs created between 2008 and 2018.
Graduates of the program will:
- Acquire a broad based understanding of diverse fields in Arts and Sciences.
- Acquire a fundamental knowledge of health related biology and chemistry.
- Possess the mathematical and social skills necessary to succeed in modern society.
- Possess the specific tools and skills required for their chosen discipline.
Human Service concentrators will:
- Have a fundamental understanding of health sciences and healthcare issues.
Respiratory Therapy Completion concentrators will:
- Critically evaluate professional issues within the context of the modern healthcare environment.
- Describe and interpret statistical tests applied to medical research data
- Apply evidence-based medicine to clinical practice
Dental Hygiene Completion concentrators will:
- Prepare graduates to assume responsibility for ethical dental hygiene practice in accordance with professional codes of ethics and state law
- Prepare competent hygienists to provide comprehensive dental hygiene expertise, knowledge and services to the local community.
- Prepare graduates to make evidence based decisions by acquiring, analyzing and documenting information utilizing current scientific research
- Be able to critically evaluate professional issues within the context of the modern healthcare environment
- Promote oral health within the community
Food Safety concentrators will:
- Obtain a firm knowledge of the scientific basis of food safety
- Understand food chemistry and microbiology
- Possess a fundamental understanding of food processing
- Master the industry ‘s standard of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point
- Will be prepared to become professionals in a food safety discipline.
- Gain an understanding of food quality assurance and the skills needed to deal with food audits.
- Learn about the principles of sanitation and pest control.
- Learn how to develop crisis management skills and how to deal with federal regulators.