830 Chalkstone Avenue
Providence, RI 02908
401-273-7100 | 866-363-4486
Eligibility & Enrollment 401-457-3300
Homeless Resources 401-273-7100, ext. 3553
Women’s Veteran Coordinator 401-223-3651
The Vet Centers are funded by the Department of Veterans Affairs and there are community-based centers. Vet Centers provide readjustment counseling and outreach services to all veterans who served in any combat zone. Bereavement counseling and counseling for military related sexual abuse or harassment is also available. Family members and/or significant others can be seen at Vet Centers for military related issues. There is no cost to the veteran or family for these services.
Warwick Vet Center
2038 Warwick Avenue
Warwick, RI 02889
Point of Contact: Berne Greene, MSW
Telephone: (401) 739-0167
New Bedford Vet Center
73 Huttleton Ave., Unit 2
Fairhaven, MA 02719
Point of Contact: Paula Smith, MSW
Telephone: (508) 999-6920 or 877-927-8387
The Veterans Crisis Line is a toll-free, confidential resource that connects Veterans in crisis and their families and friends with qualified, caring VA responders.
Veterans and their loved ones can call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, chat online at www.VeteransCrisisLine.net*, or send a text message to 838255 to receive free, confidential support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, even if they are not registered with VA or enrolled in VA health care. VA also provides support for Service members through the Military Crisis Line. Service members and their families and friends can call and text the Veterans Crisis Line numbers and can chat online at www.MilitaryCrisisLine.net.
The professionals at the Veterans Crisis Line are specially trained and experienced in helping Veterans of all ages and circumstances—from Veterans coping with mental health issues that were never addressed to recent Veterans struggling with relationships or the transition back to civilian life.
Since its launch in 2007, the Veterans Crisis Line has answered more than 745,000 calls, 83,000 chats, and made more than 26,000 life-saving rescues. In 2009, VA added the anonymous online chat that has since helped more than 65,000 people.
Real Warriors Live Chat—A Real Voice with Real Answers 24/7: A trained health resource consultant is ready to talk, listen and provide the guidance and resources you’re looking for. Access our privacy policies and disclaimers to see our commitment to your confidentiality. Call 866-966-1020 or LOG ON — 24/7 — for Real Warriors Live Chat.
The PTSD Coach app can help you learn about and manage symptoms that commonly occur after trauma. Free PTSD Coach download from: iTunes and now also on Android Market. Together with professional medical treatment, PTSD Coach provides you dependable resources you can trust. If you have, or think you might have PTSD, this app is for you. Family and friends can also learn from this app. PTSD Coach was created by the VA’s National Center for PTSD and the DoD’s National Center for Telehealth and Technology
Education & College Programs/Services
- GoArmyEd - Army Continuing Education System (ACES) - virtual gateway for all eligible Active Duty, National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers to request Tuition Assistance (TA) online, anytime, anywhere for classroom and distance learning.
- National Association of Institutions for Military Education Services (NAIMES) - organization which advocates for the military student and partners with the military education community for the betterment of off-duty Voluntary Education programs.
- Department of Defense Voluntary Education - Information on voluntary education programs and other helpful resources for Student Veterans.
- Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education - Support of Department of Defense voluntary educational programs.
- Military One Source - information on every phase of military life including deployment, parenting, financial management, spouse employment and more.
- Student Veterans of America - information to provide military veterans with the resources, support, and advocacy needed to succeed in higher education and following graduation.
- American Council on Education's Guide to Evaluating Military Experiences - A guide to evaluate educational experiences while in the military.
- Wounded Warrior Project - Information about the Wounded Warrior Project.
- (ACE) – Military Students and Veterans - American Council - Resources on American Council on Education (ACE) military programs
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs - Up to date news and information for Veterans
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs GI Bill website - Home for all educational benefits provided through the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- The VA National Center for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Information concerning Trauma and PTSD